Apple Caramel Spice Cake
Recipe provided by Kristi Tursi of Essex Junction, VT, finalist of the 2018 New York Apple Association’s Apple Recipe Contest.
- 10 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 1 cup(s) dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon(s) maple syrup
- 1 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 tablespoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
- 2 small apples (any variety) cut up and cubed to bite-sized pieces
- 8 ounce(s) soft caramels cut up into bite-sized pieces
- Butter and flour 8x8-inch pan. Preheat oven to 325 Fahrenheit.
- In one bowl, beat butter one minute (until smooth and creamy); add in brown sugar and mix until combined; add egg (one at a time) and mix well; add in maple syrup.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; wisk until well distributed.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture; mix to combine thoroughly; add in apples and caramels; bake in the center of oven for 1 hour or until tester comes out clean.