Apple and Fennel Stuffed Mushrooms
A new twist on stuffed mushrooms! These flavors will wake up your tastebuds!
- 2 Tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large Golden Delicious or any variety apple, chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 cup of seasoned panko stuffing
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 medium lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 Large or 20 mini portobella mushrooms, cleaned and with stems removed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot on medium high heat, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil and add chopped onions, cook for 8 minutes, or until translucent. Turn heat down and add the minced garlic and the thyme then cook another 2 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the chopped apples, fennel, and jalapeno pepper, if using, and cook another 8 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the heat and add panko breadcrumbs, 2 tbsp melted butter, 1 teaspoon fennel seed, fresh basil, lemon juice, chili powder, and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Coat the mushrooms lightly with olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Then fill them with the apple and fennel mixture.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until mushrooms are roasted and tender. Serve warm.