Apple and Cranberry Skillet Chicken
A simply delicious holiday dish for small gatherings. Recipe can easily be doubled if you have an extra-large skillet!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 2 pounds (4-6) chicken thighs, skin-on bone-in
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 Apple, peeled, cored and sliced into ¼-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup fresh apple cider
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly salt and pepper the chicken thighs.
- Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, rosemary, oregano, cayenne pepper, and garlic in a small bowl. Mix together and coat chicken thoroughly.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet (10 inch) or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When the oil is rippling on the top place chicken thighs skin side down in the oil. Cook for 5 minutes. Flip over taking care to release the skin from the pan (do not allow the skin to stick and tear off).
- Cook an additional 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- While the chicken is cooking, in a small bowl combine the cranberries, apple slices, brown sugar, ground cloves and mustard. Toss to combine and coat the fruit.
- Combine the chicken stock and apple cider.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Slowly pour the liquids into the pan and use a heat proof spatula to deglaze the pan removing any stuck bits of food on the pan. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add chicken back to the pan skin side up.
- Spoon the cranberry apple mixture into the pan evenly around the chicken.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the chicken reaches 165 degrees internal temperature.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.