Apple and Chickpea Sauté
Inspired by pickyeaterblog.com
This vegetarian dish is chock full of flavor and it’s so easy to make, it’s sure to become a favorite.
Serving Size1 Serving
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hours
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ Tbsp grated ginger
- 2 Tbsp Garam Masala
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp crushed dried red pepper
- 1 15oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked black lentils or French green lentils
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Basmati rice or Naan for serving
- Place olive oil in large saucepan and turn heat to medium-high.
- Add onion and garlic to the heated oil, cooking until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Next add spices to the onions and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Then add the chickpeas and lentils and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
- Add raisins, water or broth, and cook about 15 minutes, stirring often, until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the lemon juice and apple during last 3 minutes of cooking.
- Right before serving, top with fresh cilantro.