Apple and Beef Stew with Moroccan Spices
Inspired by Taste of Home
Apples and tender beef pair beautifully in this sumptuous and comforting stew.
Serving Size1 Serving
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time2 hours
Total Time2 hours, 20 mins
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon dried chili peppers
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 14-1/2 ounces canned or boxed beef broth
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave syrup
- 2 medium Fuji or Gala apples, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- Hot cooked rice or couscous, optional
- Mix all the dry spices together, then sprinkle them over the cubed beef and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, heat 2-3 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Brown beef cubes, adding more oil as needed. Remove beef with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onion to same pan; stir and cook until translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato sauce, broth, dried apricots, and honey. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Add apples; cook, covered, until beef and apples are tender, 30-45 minutes longer. Skim fat. If desired, serve stew over rice or couscous.